This trial is about micorrhizal fungi and whether or not use of it makes a jot of difference. I’m using some lychnis arkwrightii that I grew from seed this year. They are still small plants. Frankly none of them is looking particularly happy.
I think they have been getting too wet, they’ve been sitting in a non-draining tray. I used the fungi on 5 plants as I potted them on last time. I’m comparing those 5 and the 5 healthiest looking plants from the no fungi group. All have been in the same conditions since potting on.
The fungi group (left) are a little taller than the other group. A little.
On inspection, there was very little difference in the root balls. None had put on any great roots, probably a symptom of being wet the whole time, the plants didn’t have to work hard enough.
Here they are side by side, fungi group always on the left.
If pushed I could convince myself that the fungi group have overall more visible roots, but not a resounding difference between the groups.
I can’t say, hand on heart, that the fungi group have performed convincingly better or really differently at all than the group with no fungi.
I didn’t provide ideal conditions for the trial plants so I may repeat this trial at some point. I’m calling this one a score draw.
I’ll be back soon with more trials.